Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Great Christmas Blizzard of '09

I guess we're in for it. Feed the dog team and pack the sled, because it sounds like that's the only way we're gonna make it to Grandmother's house this Christmas. Yukon Cornelius is already lickin' away at his pickaxe, just amped up to start swinging it wildly.

http://www.concoxions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Yukon-Cornelius.jpg


As for you, g'head...start the fire.




Unable to carry out our travel plans on this Christmas Eve, we decided to continue to try to persuade Maura to play in the snow. We didn't get too crazy, but as you can see we've got the beginnings of a pretty sweet igloo/fort/castle goin' on.


I also noticed that one of the tires on the man-van was a bit low, so I promptly drove it over to the friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart to get it sorted out. After killing a little time it occurred to me how prone to suggestion I can be. I walk in, tell the gal my tire's low, at which time she asks if I want the oil changed. Sure. I go to the waiting area, see some coffee...don't mind if I do. There's a tv with a dvd player repeating the menu sequence for Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Might as well start it up. I call Jodi, who reminds me that there is a Subway at the front of the store, and guess what I instantly want for lunch.

December 26th

That all happened on Christmas Eve, and now I'm back to write more and report on all the snow we didn't get. I don't want to get too critical of the people giving the forecast, because picking on the weatherman is pretty much a slam dunk every time. I will say though that his 8-11 inches was off by about 8-11 inches.

At least we can say with certainty that he didn't mislead anyone into traveling in unsafe conditions. We had a safe Christmas with family, shared stories and gifts, and played Wii until our arms were sore. Hopefully you were able to do the same, managing to not shoot your eye out.

2 comments:

Cory said...

In Riceville, IA on local news it was like 24-hour coverage of the half-ass storm, with 22-year old meteorologists coming out of the woodwork to tell us to watch out for the 'Black ice,' which I believe may just be an underhanded racist metaphor used by small-town meteorologists, like "Hot Pockets" or "Wolf Blitzer," to signal their overlords in the mainstream liberal media.
Minnesota got completely buried in snow by this storm, but who cares about them? Those chumps took Favre away. He didn't even want to leave Green Bay is what I heard, but they took him by force by threatening his adopted children. At least, that's what Gus at University Bakery says. I should stop drinking Spotted Cow after 9pm on Sundays.
PS: The Seahawks stink! Ha!
PPS: Hey, your kid can stand up on her own! Did you know that? When the heck did that happen? That's kind of terrifying.

brando said...

I always thought it was weird that he was licking his pick-axe too. Who does that? Weirdos I say.

Also who makes snow bricks out of an ice cream pail? Bricks are shaped like bricks for a reason. What are you teaching your daughter? Round bricks?

Round. Bricks.

Or maybe some sort of jigsaw shaped brick, to make it more earthquake resistant. And then you can spill champaign on your bricks to make them come to life. Then sing Take On Me, by Ah-Ha!