Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Chippewa in da Moonlight

The Wisconsin gun deer season has drawn to a close, and it has reportedly been a safe one. Just how safe I'm not sure, but my guess is that the safety is partly due to the fact that no one saw any deer, and consequently had no reason to discharge a firearm. This was the case for myself and so many other hunters this year. Buck pools drying up in all the taverns, jackalope sales going through the roof...it's a shame. I had intended for this post to feature a picture of a beautiful deer, lifeless head held in my hands, tongue flopped out sideways, goofy grin on my giant potato-like face. I wanted it bad, but dere were no turdy pointers.

Instead, I will emphasize the positive by speaking to the four basics of firearm safety. There are many variations, but these are the ones I know. "There are many like it, but this one is mine."

"Guns don't kill kids, I kill kids."

T.A.B.K.

Treat every firearm as though it were loaded.

Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you intend to fire.

Now wasn't that just as fun as shooting a big, fat, juicy live deer?

Uh oh. Looks like someone forgot pretty much everything we just talked about.

There may be a couple more opportunities for me to spill blood, so stay tuned as I will try to deliver the goods during late bow season.

2 comments:

brando said...

Wow. He did pretty much forget everything. It's almost like his behavior is unsafe.

I'm sorry to hear that the deer didn't want to cooperate. They're supposed to stroll up to about 20 yards, turn sideways, and present their vitals.

Leviathan said...

Too bad about the deer. I'm sure that they're still around, just hiding from your very obviously non-deer like stumbling sounds.