Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Trip to the Farm

Jodi's Aunt and Uncle Wisner tend to a fantastic little slice of God's country in northwest Wisconsin, so naturally we always look forward to visiting. This time the occasion was brought on by the birthday of cousin Trent, which seemed like the perfect excuse to gather the family and celebrate this time of year and the awesome weather that it brings.

Like always, I wish I took more pictures, but they really can't capture the enchantment I feel when I'm at the farm. Rolling fields, beautiful gardens, bee hives...it's a showcase of nature. I actually saw a snake catch and eat a tree frog right outside the front door. By the time I grabbed the camera the frog was but a lump in the snakes throat.


Among other plant varieties there grows a mighty hop vine along the back of one of the buildings. I was allowed to pick till satisfied, much to the delight of Brando, who intends to use the precious ingredient in a future brewing venture. We talked of the dude on the Sam Adams commercial who kind of churns some hops in his hands and then pulls a big whiff off it. Unfortunately there's no smell-o-vision on the Oak Lair, but I can assure you that they posess a very bright bouquet.

What would a trip to the farm be without a pony ride? Believe it or not, this was Mo-chubkin's very first time atop a mighty steed. I think it's clear though that she's a natural, but Jodi still wouldn't let her ride by herself. I know she could do the horse-wheelie thing if given the chance. Hopefully this doesn't spark any kind of "I want a pony" phase later in life.



We wrapped up the afternoon with a titanic clash on the bocce ball field. The rules were bent as they often are, until the game we were playing only loosely resembled this refined sport of gentlemen. We did, however, adhere to a selection of rules, keeping the spirit of the game intact, and we faithfully referred to the target ball by it's proper name, the "pallino"...over and over.

Great is the bounty of the Wisner Farm, which it bestows freely upon all who visit. It's the kind of place that can sustain your body and soul with it's countless riches. Until next time.

1 comment:

brando said...

Botchy Ball? Hops? Paliminos?


Looks like you're living the high life.

I'm seriously going to make an Imperial IPA with those hops. It's going to be serious.

I'm glad you didn't let the little one gallop away.