Monday, August 11, 2008

The Games of the XXIX Olympiad


The Olympics are again upon us, and as a staunch proponent of human achievement, I'm fully on board. I love the flippin' and jabbin' and everything that goes along with the wide variety of events that are on display. My only regret is that I don't make the effort to tune in at 3 a.m. when people are shooting stuff and getting judo chopped.

I haven't done a lot of research about the Olympic games, but I'm sure that at the conception of it they were primarily created as a chance for people to demonstrate some sort of survival/combat skill when there was no particular reason to kill anyone at the time. There are probably a few exceptions, but for the most part you're attacking someone or getting attacked. Fencing is my favorite example. It sort of forces the loser to think, "Man, I wouldn't want that to happen to me for real."

I like to speculate about what certain events could possibly be simulating. Archery and other shooting events are clearly representing some sort of deadly prowess, but what's with the watery hurdles in the steeplechase? It's like, "We don't want you to develop the same kind of rhythm you would in regular hurdles, we almost want you to forget there are hurdles at all until WHAP....SPLOOSH!" It makes me think of fleeing from a crime through a bunch of people's yards.

Seinfeld says it best.


Ridiculous Photoshop medley...

"Oooh, I want a $5 footlong!"

"I bit my tongue."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Photoshops, Cullen.

I also think the Olympics are great, though I haven't seen the waterhurdles. Its great seeing freaks of nature, trained their entire lives for some 30 second routine, completely kick ass. It's also great because the Olympics seem to be the last bastion of good old fashioned nationalism.

brando said...

As Strong Bad would say: "Arrowed!"

Mary said...

I am on board with the Olympiad. I have been watching approximately 16 hours of Olympics per day which has significantly decreasing my ability to function normally. But as I explained to Cory, it is an addiction that I get to feed only once every four year (I don't count the Winter Olympics), so this is my three-week Olympic bender and it has to get me through to next time. But I am getting a little over-Phelpsed.