Thursday, December 4, 2008

Of All the Trees Most Lovely

Thanksgiving 2008 is in the books, and another year's worth of blessings have been counted. We, like many others observe the day after Thanksgiving as the first day of the pre-Christmas work-up. It wasn't long until the boxes came out and the house underwent a transformation not unlike something one might see in Whoville. A childlike wonder is restored within me...as in, I wonder how we ended up with all this crap. To all grinches out there that don't particularly care for this time of year, I urge you to check your pulse echocardiogram. Your heart may be two sizes too small.



We used to make a point of picking out a new ornament each year, but that tradition, like many others has gone by the wayside. That doesn't mean that we don't have a copious amount of ornaments, because we do. So this year I've decided to give special attention to a select few and recognize my...

TOP 5 FAVORITE ORNAMENTS



#5

Tiny lil' Wright brothers airplane

A treasured Hallmark collectible, this tiny airplane will soar into your heart, letting your imagination take flight. I can't believe I haven't lost it yet...the ornament, not my poeticism.


#4

Ralph Wiggum eating paste

What a stinker. His cat's breath smells like cat food, his doctor urges him to keep his finger outta his nose...Who among you can't see a little of yourself in this fresh portrait of playfulness?




#3

Santa being pulled by a fish team

The decision to choose this as my yearly ornament all those years ago was just as easy as the decision to include this in my top five. A special place on the tree is always reserved for this incongruous gem.



#2

The Craftsman belt sander

As classic as the star at the top, this ornament may be too abrasive and gritty for some, but I was immediately able to recognize its rugged beauty. Be sure to observe all safety precautions when hanging.





#1

1977 Disney ball ornament

My all time favorite ornament. This is the one I always acknowledged as my ornament and was always the one I had to dig around for when mom was decorating the tree. I don't think this was the first one I'd received, but to me it's the holy grail of ornaments. The treasure that I uncover every year and identify as a key to a historic ritual. Just holding it conjures memories as though it were some type of mystical orb.



Enjoy the holiday!

7 comments:

Leviathan said...

Nice ornaments. Though I have no idea why the craftsmen belt sander is #2. Top 10 maybe.

Ralph Wiggim eating paste is awesome.

Was the Mickey Mouse 1977 bulb your 'first ornament'?

Anonymous said...

It was definitely among that first wave of gifted ornaments for bebeh's first Christmas. At some point I decided it was like my version of Superman's sacred crystal, so maybe not chronologically the absolute first ornament, but to me it's the quintessetial ornament.

brando said...

I'm going to kick that #1 ornament over the house, and maybe it will land next to someone holding a baby.

Then maybe I can give it to the Green Bay Packers so they can punt it 15 yards.

Then perhaps, you can field goal kick it next thanksgiving.

Then....um.... I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this...you can give it to Chad O'hara, so he can throw it at someone's nose.

And after that, you can put it in your plastic hy-lye set and whip it into the front door of the Chippewa Falls coffee shop.

jiveturkey9000 said...

The #1 ornament!? Do what?! I guess I should expect that kind of reaction when I describe something nice...because you can't keep anything nice. That's why we can't have nice things. You'll just get 'em all smeared up with mud.

Travis said...

Great post. Puts me in the Christmas mood. We had a couple of ornaments we always looked for when unpacking too. I get the mystical orb effect.

I do want to point out though that checking one's pulse is not an accurate way to determine heart size. An echocardiogram, or ultrasound of the heart, would be much better. Maybe try this:

If...then check your echocardiogram, because your heart may be two sizes two small.

jiveturkey9000 said...

Travis...it's fixed. That was a great suggestion. I should've known better, because after all, they actually do use some form of primitive device to demonstrate a non-invasive viewing of his heart right in the show.

Anonymous said...

Get on facebook. Blogger is for people over 32.